This year, we’ve made it a goal of ours to prioritize our health and experiment with more healthy, tasty recipes. There are tons of healthy ingredients that are gaining a lot of attention these days, so we thought it would be fun to see how we could utilize them to create delicious meals that everyone would love and feel good about eating. A few nights ago we were craving soup to warm us up in the chilly weather, so we found an old soup recipe and decided to recreate it with healthier ingredients.
Don’t be fooled by the healthy ingredients and assume this soup is bland – it is full of so many delicious spices and flavors that make it perfect for the whole family or to bring to share at your next dinner party.
Pro tip: Adjust the recipe to make plenty of leftovers and store in Tupperware. You’ll be set up with simple, healthy, delicious meals throughout the week!
Ingredients: (makes approximately 6 servings)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 carrots
- 1 onion sliced
- 12 cloves of garlic
- 8 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 roasted chicken
- 1/4 cup brown rice
- 1 15 oz can large white beans
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 2 tsp white pepper
- 1 TBL spoon sea salt
- 1/2 fresh lemon
- In a soup pot heat 1/4 cup olive oil
- Course chop 2 carrots, 1/2 onion, and 6 cloves garlic.
- Sauté in the oil until browned.
- While cooking the veggies, strip chicken from carcass and add carcass into the stockpot.
- Add 8 cups chicken stock, bring to a boil and simmer for 1/2 hr.
- Then strain the liquid through a fine strainer and discard the veggies & carcass. Set the liquid aside.
- Clean and dry the stockpot.
- Add the remaining olive oil.
- Course chop the remaining carrots, onions & garlic and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Once onions are translucent, add the chicken broth and brown rice and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the chicken, beans, and kale and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add salt & pepper to taste and squeeze fresh lemon juice.
Serve with freshly baked baguette and enjoy.
Try this recipe out and let us know what you think!!
Looking for a caterer for your next event? Contact us to find out how we can help!